Benefits of Historic Preservation
- Overall vitality and economic health.
- Vitality of our older areas .
- Rehabilitation to help stabilize to the local economy.
- Reflect our evolution, history, and distinguish Lee’s Summit from other communities.
- Rehabilitation directly benefits adjacent property owners.
- Rehabilitated building increases more rapidly than the real estate market in the larger community.
- Older buildings are ideal for smaller and start-up businesses.
Five goals compose the key elements to achieving historic preservation in the community:
- Integrate preservation into the City’s planning, land use and property management codes and policies.
- Increase awareness of historic preservation.
- Develop and expand appropriate mechanisms for the identification, evaluation, and protection of historic and cultural resources.
- Develop and complete a coordinated effort to update and replace obsolete and decaying infrastructure.
- Encourage the utilization of existing and the development of traditional and nontraditional economic incentives.